Saturday, November 7, 2009

An Opening Post (again)

This is my third start at letting others into my life through the online written word. I have tried in the past talking about my Ironman and triathlon training, and on the opportunities and challenges with looking for a job after an MBET degree. Now, I am trying #3. This is going to be more about me and all the things that I get myself into. Whether it's entrepreneurship, my day job, general interests, or the new bundle of joy that is joining our family in the next few weeks, it will be written down here.

I sit here at the house, with a glass of wine, and a list of stories, advice, and musings that ,I want to share with you. Bear with me as I improve my writing style, my story writing abilities, and my commitment to this. Stick with me for a little while, and I am very sure that you will be able to learn a few things from my various experiences in business, school, leadership, sports, and family life. I truly hope that I will be able to learn a lot from you as well. Enjoy my first post.

Recently my very good friend Athena mentioned to me some changes that the Centre for Business, Entrepreneurship, and Technology (CBET) was undergoing for it's flagship Master's program. Athena thought that I (or someone else) should try to get involved in the Advisory Council (AC) for CBET. The AC is similar to a board of directors that helps CBET set strategic direction and provide leadership.

I am a big fan of people who do things to change their situation instead of just talking about it. And because I have hypocrites, I decided to send Murray Gamble, the current Chair of the AC and Doug Beynon, the past chair. I suggested that they have an MBET alumni on the board, and if they liked that idea, I could be that representative of MBET. Fortunately they thought that the idea of having an MBET alumni on the AC was a good idea. We have agreed that I will be the MBET alumni representative for the first 2 year term on the AC.

I am really looking forward to being part of this group. Historically this group only gets together 2 - 3 times a year, but the opportunity to work and learn from this very experienced group of men and women. I am looking forward to this experience and I will certainly keep you posted of events and non-confidential conversations that happen with this group.

I have a number of posts that I must work through over the next week or so. For now, you can follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/craighaney if you want to hear more about my day to day life and activities.

Until the next post.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment